IBSurgeon is happy to announce the new release of HQbird – advanced Firebird distribution for enterprises, with the following features: native (high-performance and transactions friendly) master-slave replication, improved performance, advanced performance monitoring, automated backups, proper maintenance.
HQbird is 100% compatible with Firebird, it does not require backup/restore to move between HQbird and community Firebird.
This release includes many new features and improvements:
Advanced support of DDL during the replication
- Automatic configuration:
- operative and archive logs are created and registered automatically in replication configuration and Cloud Backup jobs
- Windows installer has the option to install a replica with pre-configured database instance.
- Improved automatic database re-initialization
- The Pool of Execute On External connections now is available in Firebird 3.0 (as it was in 2.5) which included to HQbird – greatly increases stability and speed of Execute On External statements. The pool can be reviewed and controlled by SQL commands
- New monitoring options:
- Performance Summary to see cumulative reads/writes/fetches and SQL Ping to monitor database response
- Detailed information about all temporary files in Firebird
- Indices statistics job now recalculates all indices in AUTO mode (recommended to set it to run once per week)
- Automatic upgrade now is also in Linux installer, as it was in Windows – if you already had HQbird installed, Linux installer will update it correctly without reinstallation
- New context variable indicating is it master or replica RDB$GET_CONTEXT(‘SYSTEM’, ‘REPLICA’)
- Fixes in the interface: icons, sorting order of graphs, etc
Download HQbird 2018 R3 and upgrade your existing version!
If you have a valid Firebird Support Service agreement or active Maintenance subscription, our technicians will contact you to perform the upgrade.
Please note that all licenses are compatible with HQbird 2017 and HQbird 2018.
Also, If you already tried HQbird and need a new trial – please send the request to email@example.com
Firebird Performance Tour 2019 will take place in Moscow (November 29, 2018), Prague (Dec 4, 2018) and Bad Sassendorf, Germany (Dec 6, 2018).
Firebird Performance Tour will be devoted to the complex parts of SQL queries optimizations and their monitoring.
More details here
IBSurgeon is glad to announce the availability of the new version of Encryption Plugin Framework for Firebird: the fast and easy way to add transparent and strong (AES256) encryption for Firebird databases.
The new version includes the following features:
- Pre-built binaries for Firebird 3.0.3: Windows 32/64 and Linux 32/64
- gbak.exe with encryption of databases and backups.
- Full sources included
- Unlimited license for redistribution with all business applications of your company
- Detailed examples of the implementation in Delphi, PHP, etc
- Implementation support – our engineers will help you to implement and integrate encryption
- (Optional) SQL development tool with the encryption support
Download and try IBSurgeon’s Encryption Plugin for Firebird now!
We start to publish presentations from Firebird Tour 2017. Please find the first 2 presentations below:
“Firebird Performance“, by Vlad Khorsun, Firebird Project
“Tuning Linux, Windows, and Firebird for heavy workload” by Alex Kovyazin, IBSurgeon.
More presentations will be published later – stay tuned!
We are glad to release the new major version of advanced Firebird (2.5 and 3.0) distribution: HQbird 2018. The key new features are the following:
- Online initialization of asynchronous replication (in the Enterprise edition). Now it is possible to initialize and re-initialize database replicas with zero downtime of the master server.
- Automatic performance monitoring (in all editions), with the performance reports which show the slowest and the most frequent SQL queries, and with the advanced monitoring of long-running active transactions.
- Pool of connections for external statements (for version 2.5) which greatly increases the performance of Execute On External statements
- Pool of prepared statements (for version 3.0) which greatly improves the performance in case of frequent parametrized queries
- New version of Firebird SQL Studio, now with the support of encrypted databases
Please refer to HQbird User Guide for more details!
For those, who downloaded trials of previous HQbird versions: we have reset all previous trial registrations to the end of December 2017.
All registered users of HQbird 2015, HQbird 2016 and HQbird 2017 will receive the free upgrade to HQbird 2018!
For Windows users – it is possible to install HQbird 2018 over the existing installation and keep the configuration.
HQbird 2018 comes in 3 editions:
- Standard ($399): automatic backups, automatic maintenance, and automatic performance monitoring
- Professional ($599): Standard + Recovery tools (FirstAID Tech Support) + SQL Studio.
- Enterprise ($799): Professional+ replication (asynchronous and synchronous)
More details here: https://ib-aid.com/en/hqbird-features
Please feel free to ask any questions through email firstname.lastname@example.org
It is easy to get a powerful server if you are ready to spend many $$$: there are leading vendors like Dell, HP, and many less known hardware companies, they will be happy to sell you a powerful machine.
However, money is always a problem, especially for small businesses and start-ups, so there is a great demand for «good-enough» cheap solutions.
The new article from IBSurgeon describes the practical approach for building «good-enough» database server with the sufficient performance for small business. It also contains calculations and links to the specific products we recommend.
As you know, recently several crypto viruses have attacked many companies – most well-known are Wannacry and Petya. Usually, as reported by many companies, it is necessary to pay a ransom, or, in the case of Petya, all encrypted files will be lost.
Read how we can defeat Petya:
HQbird 2017R2 is a major upgrade of advanced Firebird distributive (versions 2.5 and 3.0) with high-availability, replication, optimization, monitoring and recovery tools. Please upgrade the previous version of HQbird with 2017R2 (this upgrade is free for all users of HQbird).
This release includes a lot of improvements in replication, monitoring, and optimization, as well as many bugfixes. Windows installer now supports an automatic upgrade of the existing HQbird installation, Linux support for auto-upgrade will be released later.
The main goal of HQbird 2017R2 is to provide administrators and developers of big Firebird databases with effective management, maintenance, recovery, and optimization tools, in order to keep databases always healthy and available.
More details about HQbird: https://ib-aid.com/hqbird
We are proud to present IBSurgeon FirstAID 5.0 – the new version of the recovery software with the highest rate of successful repairs. FirstAID 5.0 is a major improvement: now it supports Firebird 3.0, InterBase XE7, and big databases (100Gb+).
Download IBSurgeon FirstAID 5.0
If you are a user of FirstAID version 3.x or 4.x, you can log into IBSurgeon Deploy Center and see that you were automatically upgraded to version 5.0. All your licenses were transferred to 5.0.
-50% upgrade offer till May 15
If you have the license for FirstAID version 1.x or 2.x (including Pack 3.x), or if you have used all licenses for 3.x/4.x, we would like to offer you 50% discount to upgrade to FirstAID 5.0 Tech Support (for 50 databases) for the special price: USD$99. This is a limited offer till May 15 only!
IBSurgeon has released the complete trial kit for Firebird encryption, which includes fully functional time-limited AES256 encryption plugin and demo application (in Delphi) to demonstrate how to connect to the encrypted database.
The trial kit is designed for the following:
1) Easy performance testing of the existing databases with the encryption: you can encrypt database on the server and test your existing applications without changing them.
2) Implement client-side security: there is a simple example of Delphi application (sources included) which demonstrates how to send the key from the client to the server.
Download Firebird encryption plugin and example of a client application.