I am happy to announce the release of “Firebird External Table Generator” (ext-table-gen for short).
“Firebird External Table Generator” is a commandline tool to transform RFC 4180 CSV files to Firebird external table files (a binary format for external table data).
External tables are a good way for bulk-loading data into Firebird. Unfortunately, external tables use a fixed-width binary format, and not (more) standard formats like CSV. It is not always easy to create an appropriate external table file, and this is where ext-table-gen can be used.
At a high level, ext-table-gen provides the following features:
- Derive a CHAR-based external table definition (i.e. a CREATE TABLE statement and a configuration for ext-table-gen) from a CSV file
- Transform a CSV file to an external table file (either based on the CSV file itself, or based on a configuration file)
The current version only supports CHAR columns, which makes the generated file essentially a fixed-width text format. Future versions may introduce support for additional column types.
You can find the 1.0 release at ext-table-gen v1.0.
Documentation and release notes can be found on https://mrotteveel.github.io/ext-table-gen/.
The project itself is hosted on https://github.com/mrotteveel/ext-table-gen.
In the current release, we have continued expanding the support of Firebird v4.
- The full support of DECFLOAT(16) and DECFLOAT(34) has been implemented
- The new version of IBProvider supports the ICU v63 from FB4 kit
- Using «ALTER SESSION RESET» for resetting a connection before reusing (see this new example)
Kind Regards and Good Luck! IBProvider Team.
Now using firebird-driver. Recommended for Firebird 3.0+.
The legacy fdb driver could still be used for Firebird 2.5.
Both SQLAlchemy 2.0 and 1.4 are supported.
We are happy to announce the release of Jaybird 5.0.2.
The following has been fixed since Jaybird 5.0.1:
- Fixed: Reconnect transaction with a transaction id exceeding 0x7FFF_FFFF did not work (jaybird#734)
- New feature: add connection property parallelWorkers to set Firebird 5.0 isc_dpb_parallel_workers (jaybird#737)
- New feature: add MaintenanceManager.upgradeOds() for the Firebird 5.0 gfix/service repair action to perform a minor ODS upgrade of a database (jaybird#738)
- New feature: add parallel workers support for BackupManager (jaybird#739)
- New feature: add parallel workers support for sweep in MaintenanceManager (jaybird#740)
- Fixed: DatabaseConnectionProperties.setServerBatchBufferSize(int) ignored provided value and always set default (0, or “use server-side maximum”) (jaybird#741)
- New feature: add MaintenanceManager.fixIcu() for the Firebird 3.0 gfix/service repair action “ICU” to update or rebuild collations and indexes when the ICU version changed (jaybird#744)
- Fixed: The first call to getTableStatistics() of a FBTableStatisticsManager instance returned only a few or even no tables; if no tables were returned, subsequent calls would also return no tables (jaybird#747)
Jaybird 5 supports Firebird 2.5 and higher, on Java 8, 11, 17 and 20 (support for Java 11 and higher using the Java 11 version of the driver).