About 70 UDFs of the main library of “SR UDF Library” become FREE in the Lite version. You can download it here.
“Semanário Económico” – the best Economic Newsweek in Portugal – gives a special mention to Akropole, a software dedicated to Schools. Akropole runs on Firebird, and it’s clearly mentioned. A full copy of the article (portuguese only) is available here.
PS: On the same article (if you know portuguese and dig it a little), you will notice that the Most Productive ( profits / number of employees) company in Portugal in 2004 works with an ERP system… powered by Firebird! 🙂
Recently I found interesting search engine dedicated for searching over source code of open source projects: www.koders.com.
Firebird source base is indexed too, so you can look for something in Firebird internals very quickly. Moreover, this engine has useful plugins for Visual Studio and Eclipse IDE.
FirebirdClient 2.0 Beta 4 for Visual Studio 2005 & Microsoft.NET 2.0, the ADO.NET Data Provider for Firebird, is available for download.
Download information can be found here
· Beta 4 ( 2006-02-03 ) · Please read the Changelog for details.
- Fixed Foreign Keys schemas.
- Fixed problem with the COLUMN_SIZE column in the FbViewColumns schema.
- Bug fix in FbPoolManager when trying to return back to the pool a connection.
- Fixed DataTypes schema in the FbMetaData.xml file.
- New Features:
- [DDEX] Foreign keys should be now automaticalled added to DataSets at design time when dropping tables from the Server Explorer.
- Added correct support for the new .net 2.0 DbParameter.SourceColumnNullMapping property (Alexander V. Leshkin)
- Initial implementation of the new extended support for char/varchar fields with OCTETS character set.
- Added RemoteEventId property to FbRemoteEvent class.
Evans Data is selling a study based on +400 software developers about the power and efficiency of databases and their tools. The databases ranked on this study are:
- IBM DB2
- Oracle 10g
- Oracle 9i
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Borland Interbase
- Postgres SQL
Check more info here.
I’m curious to see how Firebird was ranked. If anyone has this study, please drop me a note.
SQL Manager 2005 is compatible with any Firebird version up to 2.0 and InterBase version up to 7.5 and supports all of the latest features including trigger messages, BLOB filters, and so on. It offers plenty of powerful tools for experienced users such as Visual Database Designer, Visual Query Builder and Stored Procedure Debugger to satisfy all their needs.
You can learn more about SQL Manager 2005 for InterBase/Firebird and download the latest version at: www.sqlmanager.net/products/ibfb/manager
The Firebird ADO.NET Data Provider 1.7.1 Release Candidate 4 for Microsoft.NET 1.1 and Mono 1.1.x is available for download.
Download information can be found here.
· 1.7.1 Release Candidate 4 ( 2006-02-01 ) ·
(Please read the Changelog for details)
– Fixed problem with the COLUMN_SIZE column value for char
and varchar columns on the ViewColumnUsage schema.
This ZDNet article comments about the new rules in the Database game, where Open Source databases are forcing the comercial ones to review and change the way they do business.
Altought the article gives main focus to MySQL and PostgreSQL in the Open Source area, Firebird also got a mention:
“Other open-source databases available include Sleepycat, Firebird and Derby.”
Hi, I’ve decided to make an in depth test of MySQL’s new functionalities by porting Firebird’s EMPLOYEE.FDB database to MySQL 5.1.5, here is what I found, I hope it will be useful for people porting apps from MySQL to Firebird and vice-versa.