Dozens of new options for Firebird and .NET Framework
If you have ever worked with Firebird or Interbase using the standard .NET provider for OLE DB (System.Data.OleDb), you will have likely encountered issues like this:
- The necessity to add ALL parameters manually.
- Even though the OLE DB provider supports parameter generation for commands, the .NET provider doesn’t use it, so you as the programmer must do that work on your own.
- The lack of support for named parameters. Although they actually exist, using them in reality requires a whole set of complex manipulations (the steps needed to add a parameter to a collection, etc.).
- The impossibility of using multiple DataReader objects at the same time (Multiple Active Result Sets).
- No execution of SQL scripts which contain several SQL expressions per command.
This list of difficulties a .NET developer has to deal with is far from complete.
Now it’s all different in a fundamentally new ADO.NET Data Provider for OLE DB