If you have ever worked with Firebird or Interbase using the standard .NET provider for OLE DB (System.Data.OleDb), you will have likely encountered issues like this:
- The necessity to add ALL parameters manually.
- Even though the OLE DB provider supports parameter generation for commands, the .NET provider doesn’t use it, so you as the programmer must do that work on your own.
- The lack of support for named parameters. Although they actually exist, using them in reality requires a whole set of complex manipulations (the steps needed to add a parameter to a collection, etc.).
- The impossibility of using multiple DataReader objects at the same time (Multiple Active Result Sets).
- No execution of SQL scripts which contain several SQL expressions per command. This list of difficulties a .NET developer has to deal with is far from complete. Now it’s all different in a fundamentally new .NET Data Provider for OLE DB
Changes in IBProvider v2 (build 2.6.06.2688)
- Addition of UTF-8 charset support
- Loading of charset information for COLUMN and PROCEDURE_PARAMETERS metadata schemes from system tables.
Changes in IBProvider v3 (build 22.214.171.12427 RC3)
New IBProvider v3 offers the brand new method for working with text data charsets:
- We added ctype_user property that allows setting the encoding of data coming to client irrespective of the encoding in which this data is coming from database server.
- New algorithms of BLOB fields converting provide for quick work with flowing data, optimization of interaction with ICU library.
- We added ctype_none property that allows setting the charset for working with text data in NONE encoding.
- Other important changes.
- Support of Firebird and Interbase charsets aliases.
See detailed information on working with new character set processor in Firebird and Interbase character sets.
Text columns size in Firebird 2.X
IBProvider started to control text columns size when working with Firebird 2 servers in Unicode mode. If the length of loaded data exceeds the text column size the exclusion will be generated.
IBProvider team released own OLE DB Interbase and Firebird driver.
- New implementation of the data type’s converter.
- Test system was improved and found bugs were fixed. More than 15 000 tests coded.
- Core was optimized.
Read more about new IBProvider data type converter