Firebird client library to the Lua language
I’d like to announce the first public release of fbclient, a binding of the Firebird client library to the Lua language, that is, a collection of pure Lua modules that allows you to connect and execute queries against the Firebird Relational Database.
Project website: http://code.google.com/p/fbclient/
Status: this is the first test/development release (full details here — the project is in active development so you can expect fast bug fixing at
Authors: just me for now (but any help appreciated!)
- 3-layer API: binding -> procedural wrapper -> OOP wrapper
- written in pure Lua, all binding goes through alien
- aims at full API coverage, including the latest Firebird API additions
- decimals of up to 15 digits of precision with only Lua numbers
- full 64bit integer and decimal number support through bignum libraries
- multi-database transactions
- blobs, both segmented blobs and blob streams (only in the procedural
- wrapper for now, soon in the OOP wrapper too)
- info API: info on databases, transactions, statements, blobs, etc.
- error reporting API
- service manager API: remote backup & restore, repair, user management, etc.
- can simultaneously work with multiple client libraries of different versions, including the firebird embedded server library
- tested with Firebird 2.5b2 on Linux 32bit and Windows XP.
- events (looking for a way to have asynchronous callbacks in Lua)
- array support (does anyone ever use them?)
- blob filters (anyone use them?)
- support dialects 1 and 2 (anyone still using those ancient dialects?)
- port/test outside 32bit little endian environments
- testing with Firebird 1.5 (you really should upgrade)
As always, any feedback is welcome and appreciated.
Cosmin. <cosmin.apreutesei at gmail.com>